The hospital is bounded in the north by Aminu Kano International Airport, south by Dala Hills, West by Federal School of Physiotherapy and in the east by Kofar Ruwa Multipurpose market.
The federal Ministry of Health had wanted to establish Orthopaedic Hospital in the Northern Region. The Government of the Northern Region invited Dr. A. F. Bryson (a Briton) to work in Kano and study the possibility and place of sitting of Orthopaedic Hospital in the North.
Dr. Bryson despite many set-backs, planned and designed the Orthopaedic Hospital, not as an aftermath of world war, civil war or tribal war.
Since 21st December 1959, when the Hospital was declared open by the then Premier of the Northern Region, Late Sir Ahmadu Bello, the hospital has gone through different managements namely;
- The Northern Ministry of Health – 1959 to 1966
- The Interim Common Services Agency – 1966 to 1968
- Institute of Health, Ahmadu Bello University – 1968 to 1980
- The Federal Republic of Nigeria, Orthopaedic Hospitals Management Board – 1980 to 1994
- The Federal Ministry of Health – 1994 to 2000
- National Orthopaedic Hospital Dala, Kano Management Board – 2001 to date.
The Hospital has also enjoyed expert services of many dedicated men and women in the field of Orthopaedics. This includes;
- Dr. A. F. Bryson – who was well known as the “Father of Dala”
- And about 36 Consultant Surgeons and Nursing personnel, who came, served and went.
- Late Alhaji Umaru Ringim (MON)
- First African and Nigerian Medical Doctor, Dr. Osad Osanwonyi – 1969 to 1986
- Dr. E. E. Ojesebholo – 1986 to 1987
- Prof. E. I. Mbamali – 1989 to 1997 (RIP)
- Dr. Olawumi Popoola – 1997 to 2005
- Dr. Kabir Abubakar – June 2005 to 2013
- Dr. M.N Salihu August 2013 to Date
The services rendered by this Hospital extend to all the Northern States and to neighbouring countries like Niger and Chad. The resources available in this Hospital are therefore stretched because of this wide coverage. This necessitates expansions.
At inception, the Hospital was involved in the treatment of cold cases (non-emergencies) only. The emergency cases were treated at the then City Hospital now Murtala Mohammed Specialist, Kano and such emergencies were referred to this Hospital as necessary.
In addition to treating patients with musculoskeletal disorders, the Hospital subsequently evolved into a training Institution with the establishment of a School of Post – Basic Orthopaedic Nursing in 1965. By 1987, ward attendants from health institutions around Kano were sent for a six – months practical attachment in Plaster Technique to this Hospital. The emphasis at that time was on practical training. The first institution to send such a staff was the Usman Dan Fodio Teaching Hospital Sokoto. By 1994, the course was restructured to incorporate theory also and hospitals from neighbouring states have been sending their staff for this training. Again in 1994, this Hospital was accredited for Residency training in Orthopaedics and Trauma by the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria. This Hospital is currently a 190 bedded facility.